About This Game
Jack is a videogame character... only he doesn’t know it yet. Help Jack survive his voyage of self-discovery!
Mayhem in Single Valley is the story of Jack, a local troublemaker who makes series earth-shattering discoveries on the day he is supposed to leave home to for art college. Jack's adventure begins in a semi-realistic version of everyday life but unfolds into a humorous and philosophical examination of the interplay between The Player, Jack, and the game's creators.
The original idea and game that led to the creation of Mayhem In Single Valley was called You Are Not A Banana (YNB). I created YNB while studying as a postdoctoral student at the University of Waterloo Canada. I want to make RPG that dealt with everyday issues and heavy relied on sound to tell its story.
After successfully applying for development funding from Telefilm Canada/CMF I began developing You Are Not A Banana into something more substantial. Early in development I decided to make a spiritual successor rather than a direct sequel, freeing up my new game from any limitations of the original. This is how Mayhem In Single Valley came to be.
I spent the last year and a half developing Mayhem In Single Valley and devoted equal time to the game's story, music, sound design, visuals, and gameplay. No aspect of the game was treated as an afterthought.
My work culminated in a polished development demo that gives players an early taste of how the game looks, feels, and sounds. While working on the demo I recruited a seasoned team of programmers, artists, and advisors to work on making the best game possible if the project moves to full production.
- An in-depth story with weird and wonderful fleshed-out characters.
- Dynamic context-based conversations and inner monologues.
- Lots of level-up items, modes of transport, and mini games.
- Combine different food types, antidotes, and poisons to escape and/or manipulate crazed wildlife and bosses.
- Combine, use, equip, items. But beware! Searching through your knapsack leaves you vulnerable to attack.
- Pull, push, drag, and generally fling items about your environment to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles.
- Manage your medication or your world will become distorted and you will die!
- Walkman based soundtrack. You decide what music you'd like to accompany your battles. Different tracks boost different players abilities.
- Unique 2D lighting that transitions between morning, evening, and night, changing the look and feel of each environment.
- Lots of Abrams-esque secret stuff I can't speak about right now : )
Original Soundtrack Preview
"As a RPG that attempts to mix the fantastical with the everyday, Mayhem In Single Valley is a fascinating hybrid of concepts."
Alpha Beta Gamer
Alpha Beta Spotlight Selection
"...once you get to grips with it you’ll be rewarded with a truly unique adventure packed full of innovation, fun twists and lots of easter-eggs to discover. An intriguing and inventive RPG adventure that we can’t wait to delve deeper into."
The Golden Cartridge
"So much more is involved in the making of Mayhem In Single Valley than what I could include in this little preview. If you smiled just a little bit during that trailer, I know you will love this amazing indie game."
"... what I do know is that the strangeness of what followed, as furniture was pushed around, balls thrown, empty beer cans kicked around near a rather upset father, only made me more eager to explore."
Staff pick main page feature
Game design, art, music, and sound by Brian Cullen.
Programming by Thomas Beckett and Andrew Bennett at Industry Corp.
Additional programming by Brian Cullen.
Funding Kindly Provided By